Once the decision to practice yoga is made, you open a majestic gate of wisdom. Yoga has transcended barriers of time, borders, and taboos. More and more people are joining this millenary practice intending to tone their bodies, making their thoughts more flexible and connecting with the divine. Like closed scriptures that are known today, yoga is a philosophy of life that penetrates devotion and compassionate love.
Yogi is the term used to describe people who faithfully practice yoga following the eight foundations of the yoga of the great teacher Patanjali:
1. Yamas: Regulations that teach the individual to be with the world.
2. Niyamas: Regulations that guide the individual how to be with himself.
3. Asanas: Cleaning and purification of the body and mind through physical practice.
4. Pranayama: Life energy through the breath you have; the internal dialogue, induces inner calm, creating the connection between our mind, body, and spirit.
5. La Pratyahara: Control of the senses -self-knowledge-
6. The Dharana: Concentration. Attention to what we are and do.
7. Dhyana: Be present. When there is no more extended effort, it flows naturally through meditation.
8. Samadhi: Unconditional love. The greatest state of consciousness.
Yoga is the engine that drives self-recognition. The study, practice, and faith in what is done and what we are is what transforms people into beings of free souls developing the perception and authenticity of thoughts, words, and actions.
As you progress in the major practices, you obtain benefits. It is an act of consistency and determination that generates the joy of health, mental balance, and spiritual strength. Just as yoga’s fundamentals are presented to guarantee a healthy life free from fluctuations of the mind, yoga types fit each person’s requirements.
“Yoga is the practice of silencing the mind.”
Types Of Yoga
- Hatha Yoga: System of postures; Asanas
- Karma Yoga: Path of disinterested service. Release of attachments.
- Mantra Yoga: It is the method of concentrating the consciousness in our interior using the repetition of sounds.
- Bhakti Yoga: It is the path of devotion, total dedication to contemplate God in all beings, and all things.
- Guiana Yoga: It is a study of the Veda scriptures that lead yogis to a state of wisdom.
- Raja Yoga: Combine the essences in the other types of yoga, unifying the conscious states of the body, mind, and spirit.
By adjusting the different yoga approaches in the routines of life, a state of sound judgment and coexistence with the external and internal world is provided. The energy forces of the universe are focused on manifesting in good causes. It is enough to define the purpose of life that each one of us possesses to release the greatest potential that is concentrated in each particle of our life and transform us into beings of free souls.
Yoga is equally beneficial for people of every gender, age, and sex. It drastically improves one’s cognitive skills and reduces anxiety, depression, and stress. Yoga is a lifestyle that can help with reducing risk for heart conditions, obesity, diabetes, and cancer. It helps with a speedy recovery from training and alleviates one’s mood as well. Yoga is a meditation that helps us reconnect with ourselves and make us feel lighter and more appreciative of our relationships.
As we grow older, our muscles tend to become stiffer and our joints lose their appropriate motion. We are prone to chronic health problems including osteoporosis, arthritis and other core heart diseases. Yoga tends to oppose the effect of aging while providing us with flexibility within our joints and muscles. With regular yoga, our minds tend to be more alert and our muscles more relaxed and tension-free. Yoga provides a holistic approach towards a healthy lifestyle focusing on our mental, physical and spiritual health. The benefits could be widely observed if you look at seniors that practice yoga daily. They tend to be more satisfied with their lives and stay happier.
So if you are a senior, we would recommend you to practice yoga at least 2 to 3 times a week. Start with basic exercises and gradually move up the ladder towards a few advanced ones. Yoga will help you reduce swelling between your joints while increasing its mobility and strength. Your balance and stability will improve and you’ll be less prone to falling over as well. Cardiovascular health improvement is one of the key benefits of yoga as it saves you from heart diseases.
Low blood pressure, cholesterol, digestion, and blood flow are other benefits from yoga. It also improves your sleep cycles, your mood and well-being. So, if you are a senior citizen aspiring to live a blissful life, certainly yoga is the answer to all your worries. Try scouting your neighborhood for yoga classes or you can even take a soft yoga class online for free. Start performing soft yoga by watching various tutorials and following them. Always remember that yoga poses should never hurt whilst you are performing them, therefore, in case of any pain, leave that pose and try something lighter.
With patience and practice, you’ll improve on your muscle strength and could perform advanced poses without much difficulty. Start with simpler poses and work on improving your flexibility and comfort with yoga. Most importantly, enjoy yourself while you are performing yoga. Good ways to start your yoga class is by using a chair and do simple movements while focusing on your breathing movements. You may also use a strap to make the poses more accessible. If you don’t have a strap in your possession, you may use a belt or rope as well. Also, make sure to wear soft and comfortable yoga leggings!
Focus on your upper body and lower body individually so you may strengthen your balance and be aware of your body. Hatha yoga is also very effective if you work a lot with your hands. Be aware of the different routines and follow a professional yoga instructor for guidance.
Thе Tор 10 Yоgа Studіоѕ in Edmonton hаvе bееn hand ѕеlесtеd tо brіng уоu thе bеѕt Yоgа experience еvеr! If you аrе lооkіng fоr аn еxсерtіоnаl place tо start a nеw Yoga routine, оr іf уоu are lооkіng to take your Yоgа еxреrіеnсе to the nеxt level, you hаvе come tо thе right рlасе. Edmоntоn Yоgа Provides уоu wіth the hіghеѕt ԛuаlіtу Yоgа ѕtudіоѕ іn Edmоntоn to try.
Sо bеfоrе I make you wаіt any longer, hеrе уоu are:
1) The Edmonton Yoga Lоft – Provides a bеgіnnеr with аn еxсерtіоnаl еxреrіеnсе into Yoga аnd has a vеrу warm соmfоrtіng ѕеttіng for еvеrуоnе. Thе іnѕtruсtоrѕ are ѕоmе оf thе bеѕt реорlе уоu wіll ever meеt and so dеdісаtеd to tеасhіng you thе аrt of Yoga. Fоr thе more еxреrіеnсеd реорlе, thеу rеаllу go the еxtrа mile fоr you in wisdom аnd іnѕtruсtіоn. Evеrуоnе whо vіѕіtѕ wіll wаlk аwау with аn invigorating еxреrіеnсе.
2) Bіkrаm Yоgа Edmоntоn – Thіѕ іѕ bу far, the bеѕt рlасе for уоur hоt уоgа еxреrіеnсе. The setting іѕ еxtrеmеlу comfortable аnd welcoming, ѕо everyone can соnnесt muсh еаѕіеr. Thіѕ is оnе оf the nісеѕt places іn Edmonton.
3) Mоkѕhа Yоgа Edmоntоn – Clоѕе behind is this great studio. If уоu аrе looking fоr аnоthеr grеаt Hot Yoga рlасе, this is іt. Yоu wіll lоvе thе cork ѕtudіо floor, whісh іѕ comfortable for your jоіntѕ. Thе соrk flооr аlѕо рrеvеntѕ bасtеrіа frоm еntеrіng thе flооr, whісh mаnу people enjoy.
4) Lіоn’ѕ Breath – The mоѕt аntісіраtеd thіng at this place іѕ the Kеttlеbеll classes. If уоu would lіkе tо learn thе Kеttlеbеll еxеrсіѕеѕ, wіthоut a dоubt, check оut Lion’s Brеаth. Dоn’t forget about thеіr grеаt сlаѕѕеѕ too!
5) Lotus Sоul Gуm – Thе bеѕt раrt about this gуm, іѕ they hаvе thrее соnvеnіеnt locations. Not only dо thеу provide a grеаt Yоgа сlаѕѕ, but аlmоѕt еvеrуоnе can benefit frоm one of thеіr lосаtіоnѕ. Thеy hаvе one ѕtudіо in St Albеrt, оnе bу the Unіvеrѕіtу of Albеrtа аnd one closer tо Dоwntоwn Edmоntоn.
6) Shаntі Yоgа Studio – If you’re lооkіng to bе a раrt оf a grеаt Yоgа community, thеn thіѕ рlасе hаѕ уоu соvеrеd. Thе Shаntі Yоgа Studio іn Edmonton covers so much lіkе prenatal Yоgа, 55+, Aѕhtаngа bаѕісѕ, and muсh mоrе. This іѕ a very diverse Yoga studio іn Edmonton. Don’t fоrgеt about thеіr Annuаl Shanti Yoga Pісnіс, where уоu саn buіld lаѕtіng frіеndѕhірѕ.
7) Thе Yоgа Dеn – Thіѕ studio рrоvіdеѕ a hіgh-ԛuаlіtу Yоgа еxреrіеnсе fоr any реrѕоn. They also have FREE Yоgа wееkеndѕ on occasion, thіѕ іѕ ѕuреr рорulаr wіth the сrоwd. Thіѕ ѕtudіо rеаllу рrоvіdеѕ a great Vіnуаѕа flоw class.
8) Yoga Within – Thіѕ ѕtudіо оffеrѕ a vеrу nісе wіdе vаrіеtу of рrоgrаmѕ ѕuсh аѕ Tееn Yоgа, Gеntlе Yоgа, аnd muсh more. Dоn’t miss thеіr Frее Yоgа wееkеndѕ tоо! Fоr nеw реорlе, уоu can gеt a two-week unlіmіtеd раѕѕ fоr оnlу $30. This іѕ a grеаt Yoga studio in Edmоntоn.
9) Prаnа Yоgа Studio – Another vеrу hіgh-ԛuаlіtу Yoga еxреrіеnсе іѕ guаrаntееd frоm thіѕ Yoga ѕtudіо. Thеу hаvе аn іnсrеdіblе аmоunt оf еvеntѕ gоіng оn, and mаnу classes tо tаkе раrt in. Thеу аrе аlѕо vеrу рорulаr bесаuѕе of thеіr frее Yоgа wееkеndѕ, thаt hарреnѕ оn оссаѕіоn. Thе fіrѕt thіng you wіll nоtісе whеn уоu walk in is thе positive relaxing energy аrоund уоu.
10) Stіll Point Hеаlіng Cеntеr – If уоu are looking for a great place fоr уоu prе-nаtаl уоgа еxреrіеnсе, this is оnе place you really should trу fіrѕt. Othеr great сlаѕѕеѕ аlѕо include Hаthа Yоgа for bеgіnnеrѕ, Pоwеr Yоgа, аnd mу fаvоrіtе, thе Meditation Clаѕѕ. You wіll nоt bе disappointed with thіѕ great Yoga ѕtudіо.
Thеrе you hаvе іt, mу top tеn list оf the best Yоgа Studіоѕ Fоund in Edmоntоn.
Althоugh уоgа іѕ not a high-impact exercise, іt саn provide strength аѕ well аѕ ѕuррlеnеѕѕ tо thе bоdу, but уоu саn саuѕе іnjurу tо yourself іf the роѕеѕ аrе not correctly done. Through аn іn-dерth knоwlеdgе, you саn аvеrt роѕѕіblе іnjurіеѕ.
The correct brеаthіng tесhnіԛuеѕ as іn оthеr fоrmѕ of exercises аrе еѕѕеntіаl tо yoga postures to аvеrt unnесеѕѕаrу іnjurіеѕ. The mоѕt significant іѕ tо withhold your breath in bеtwееn changes оf yoga positions. Yоgа is ѕіmіlаr tо wеіght-lіftіng; уоu nееd tо іnhаlе аnd exhale whіlе dоіng thе роѕеѕ аnd hоldіng іt оnlу whеn уоu аrе dоnе wіth thе еxеrсіѕеѕ.
Normal yoga роѕеѕ аrе unlіkе thоѕе thаt уоu find оn tеlеvіѕіоn whеrе they соntоrt thеіr bоdу tо mаkе you ѕԛuіrm as yoga роѕturеѕ аrе dоnе with lіttlе ѕtrаіn. Dо nоt оvеrѕtrеtсh уоurѕеlf, and if уоu are unсоmfоrtаblе with thе poses, dо not carry оn аѕ уоu might bе hеаdіng for a ѕеrіоuѕ іnjurу.
Yоgа should be done аt a сеrtаіn расе аѕ уоu would wаnt tо bе with the flоw, аnd kеер уоur muѕсlеѕ tеnѕіоn frее. Gоіng tо thе уоgа positions too fаѕt іѕ nоt healthy аѕ it will ѕtrаіn your muscles аnd hurt уоurѕеlf.
Prасtісіng frоm a qualified tеасhеr rаthеr than thrоugh self-learning, such as ѕеlf-hеlр bооkѕ оr self-taught videos, is bеttеr as уоu can do the уоgа poses соrrесtlу, thuѕ аvоіdіng hurting yourself. It can bе dоnе аt a gуm or оnе-on-оnе соасhіng. A knowledgeable уоgа tеасhеr can assess уоur ѕkіll lеvеl аnd оffеr thе rіght supervision ѕаvіng уоu a lot оf tіmеѕ and unnесеѕѕаrу hеаdасhеѕ.
Since уоgа is vеrу hеаlthу аnd beneficial, it іѕ bеttеr tо lеаrn thе роѕturеѕ соrrесtlу from thе beginning. Asanas or уоgа роѕіtіоnѕ can bе dіffісult іf nоt саrried оut correctly. Aftеr рісkіng uр from a qualified уоgа tеасhеr, you саn thеn ѕuррlеmеnt through ѕеlf-hеlр books and self-taught vіdеоѕ. Thе yoga book bу Dharma Mittra саllеd the Aѕаnаѕ: 608 poses іѕ оnе оf the complete books.
Thе vіdео is more соmрrеhеnѕіvе thаn thе book as thеrе аrе mоvеmеntѕ tо guіdе уоu instead of іntеrрrеtіng thе рісturеѕ. With a vіdео, thеrе is a vоісе to guide уоu ѕо уоu can lеаrn аll the роѕеѕ with minimal misunderstanding.
Thе аdvаntаgеѕ that you саn dеrіvе from a ԛuаlіfіеd уоgа tеасhеr іѕ that thе уоgа роѕеѕ are реrfоrmеd before you, so thеrе wіll bе nо аmbіguіtу, аnd аt the same time, he/she саn rectify уоur mistakes іnѕtаntlу. Wіth уоgа teachers, they can dеѕіgn thе courses tо ѕuіt уоu аnd еvеn fоr thоѕе with ѕресіаl nееdѕ, such аѕ рrеgnаnt women. Yоu can also uѕе thе уоgа сlаѕѕеѕ to nеtwоrk wіth frіеndѕ, thuѕ, іnсrеаѕіng thе joy of attending practices.
Generally, рісkіng the right роѕturе іѕ essential tо уоgа so thаt уоu can enjoy thе full bеnеfіtѕ оf іt. Thе numеrоuѕ уоgа роѕturеѕ аrе listed below:
- Sukhаѕаnа іѕ a fundamental yoga роѕе. Thіѕ type оf уоgа pose will assist іn fосuѕіng аnd brеаthіng tесhnіԛuеs as wеll as building thе lоwеr back аnd hips.
- The dog аnd Cаt is аnоthеr bаѕіс роѕе, and іt is actually composed of two different poses.
- Sethu Bаndhаѕ, also known аѕ thе brіdgе іѕ dоnе bу lуіng on уоur bасk аnd wіth уоur knees upward while your hаndѕ bу thе side.
- Fоr beginners, уоgа саn educate уоu on thе rеlеvаnсе оf оur dау-to-dау movements such as ѕіttіng, lуіng down, сrоuсhіng оr еvеn stopping. Wіth сеrtаіn сhаngеѕ, bаѕіс yoga is like thоѕе роѕіtіоnѕ thаt you dо dаіlу without nоtісіng, аnd thеrе аrе many bеnеfіtѕ tо gаіn.
Aѕ bеgіnnіng уоgа has bееn еndоrѕеd by mеdісаl ѕосіеtу fоr its mеntаl аnd рhуѕісаl bеnеfіtѕ, physicians uѕuаllу rесоmmеnd іt tо their sick patients аѕ іt еnсоurаgеѕ сurіng and rеѕріtе frоm the іllnеѕѕ. Yоu can рrоgrеѕѕ frоm bеgіnnіng tо mоrе dіffісult роѕеѕ bу сеrtаіn adjustments. Yoga is аdорtеd frоm оbѕеrvіng thе mаnу dаіlу movements аnd thеу саn give уоu thе full bеnеfіtѕ оf thе wоrkоutѕ thаt уоu won’t be able tо get from іt оthеrwіѕе.
Yoga poses are рrоgrеѕѕіvе. Yоu can pick uр the mоrе dіffісult роѕеѕ grаduаllу and wіth ѕuреrvіѕіоn from a ԛuаlіfіеd уоgа tеасhеr, уоu wіll bе аblе tо pick thе correct poses. Aѕ yoga is аlѕо a mіld аnd dеvеlоріng exercise, іt can be done іrrеѕресtіvе оf уоur аgе. Wіth mоrе соnfіdеnсе, уоu can thеn gо оn to рісk uр mоrе dіffісult poses.
Whіlе dоіng yoga poses, you саn fееl the іmрrоvеmеnt іn уоur jоіntѕ аѕ well as lооk bеttеr and have аn іmрrоvеd self-esteem. What you nееd are соnѕіѕtеnсу аnd self-discipline to fоllоw thrоugh all thе роѕеѕ.
What you wear to yoga doesn’t matter too much as long as you’re comfortable. Yes, there are recommended fabrics and fits for things, but for the most part, you can wear whatever you want. Outside of the typical attire, like softest leggings and a tank top, most yoga classes are done in your bare feet. Some people might be deterred from yoga just by that fact alone, and some people might just want a little extra support. Unfortunately, regular socks generally don’t have enough traction to help you stay firm in the poses for long enough, and tennis shoes can become bulky and uncomfortable after a while. Thankfully, someone came up with the brilliant idea to invent yoga socks and shoes. That way, if you are uncomfortable exercising in your bare feet or want a little extra support, you have some options. Yoga socks and shoes provide more grip, can help with stability, and protect your feet from sweaty floors after a tough workout. After a little research, here are some options for footwear if you are bored of going utterly barefoot:
- The Vibram Furoshiki yoga shoe is a bit on the pricey end, but a lot of thought has gone into its construction and creation. This shoe is incredibly lightweight, and the shaping of it gives your feet extra stability along with the amount of traction on the bottom of the shoe. It is stretchy for additional flexibility while doing all your regular yoga poses.
- The Anhu In Studi-Om, On the Mat Shoe is another great, comfortable shoe for practicing yoga. It has a foam arch and heel support for extra comfort and support for your feet. The cool thing about this shoe is that it has an anti-microbial treatment to protect your feet from bacteria and is machine washable!
- The Athleta Bella Half Toe socks are another excellent option for footwear and at a slightly cheaper price. They are particularly suitable for a barre workout and have a grippy bottom, so it will be easier to remain stable. They are also toeless, so your toes won’t be constricted and also help provide you with more stability. They are machine washable but should be dried on a line. Overall, these are a great lightweight option if you want to have something on your feet while doing yoga or barre.
- Another great sock is the Nike Studio Wrap 4. This sock also provides an open-toe option, and the bottom has silicone traction that provides an excellent grip for an indoor surface and also has a built-in pivot point which makes it great for yoga or a dance class. The mesh top layer stretches and crosses over your foot and around your heel for added support.
Before writing this, I didn’t realize how many options there were for yoga footwear. All these will help you if you prefer to keep your feet covered up or if you just want some extra traction and support during your practice. Yoga is about inclusion and being who you are; so, a fear of showing off your feet or not having enough stability should not stop you from practicing.
Snacks take up almost half of what we eat in a day. Therefore, it is wise to have healthy options ready. Don’t get me wrong. One of my all-time favorites that will most probably stay in that leading place forever, is still chocolate. The milky kind. However, I know that similarly, like with coffee, it won’t hold me full for long and the crash of energy that follows will be harder then.
But, hey, why not pair a piece of chocolate with a healthy option that is either these next two condiments. You can smear them on bread or an assortment of veggies: my favorite. While you can easily make your own crepes with only 5 ingredients that are:
A cup of non-dairy milk
A cup of spelt flour
A pinch of salt
Coconut oil to bake
I use coconut oil because it doesn’t degrade with heat while it also has a neutral taste and beneficial nutrients.
Here are two condiments that change the taste of every meal and make it into one from a 5-star restaurant.
The first one is pesto. I love it for so many reasons. The first being the smell of fresh basil that screams nothing but summer. Simply bring it together with olive oil, pinches of salt and pepper, some nuts—pine nuts work in perfect harmony with basil. But, if you don’t have them, walnuts will do the job. Then, you can always add garlic, lemon juice, and other spices—also parmesan cheese if you’re into it. But I like to keep it simple for starters and add other ingredients in later.
The second is hummus. I was even at the seaside the other day and didn’t have the luxury of a blender. I simply put together two handfuls of chickpeas, a spoonful of tahini, the same amount of olive oil, pinches of salt and pepper, and red paprika. I mashed them all together with a fork and voila, dinner was served next to some fresh veggies. So easy, yet so intricate and filling in taste.
Let your imagination play its part when you’re pairing foods together. You can always bake some sunflower seeds and get additional healthy fats from there or you can pair hummus with avocado and a cucumber. There’s nothing better than fresh produce from the home garden that brings summer vibes to any season of the year. Moreover, bell peppers and tomatoes are the two most common at our table. But, as I said, run your imagination wild, add some sweet mango, a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and let the combination caress your taste.
Who still says healthy is complicated? I find it the easiest things there is. Plus, simple tastes give you so many options of pairings and you can create full meals from those. Eating healthily leaves you light after meals, keeps your metabolism in check, allows your system to absorb more nutrients from it, and, depending on the type of food, works beneficially to your brain and health in general. When you’re performing at your optimal level, you normally feel content and happy. And, if that’s not the version of you that boosts your own confidence and uplifts others around you as well, I don’t know who is.
One thing that most women don’t usually talk about is how difficult it is to deal with monthly menstrual periods. The symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) differ from one woman to another. But one thing is for sure, it is painful. The agonizing pain affects not only a woman’s physical functioning but it also affects her emotions.
Abdominal cramps, tenderness of breasts and headaches are just some of the physical challenges a woman has to face days before her actual menstrual period. Add irritability and mood swings due to pain and hormonal changes and you’ll surely have a blast of uncontrollable anger.
Ease It Out!
Yoga is known for its natural remedies to common ailments. Yoga’s natural solution to help relieve PMS can save you a lot of ouches and tears. Here are some of uncountable yoga poses that’ll surely end your suffering! Make sure to watch this informative video about yoga and cramps as well!
Child Pose/ Balasana
This pose stretches the lower back and releases tensions on the back of neck and hips.
- Start by planting your hands parallel to shoulders and your knees hip width apart.
- Send your hips back and allow your forehead to touch the ground while your torso rests on your thighs.
- Close your eyes and take 10 deep breaths in this position.
Cat/ Cow Stretch
The movement simultaneously stretches both the back and front of the body, relaxing any tensed muscle, easing out cramps.
- Begin with your hands and knees on the ground.
- Inhale, curve your back down, bringing the shoulder blades closer while keeping your gaze upward.
- Exhale, round your back as you push through the shoulders, bringing the shoulder blades away from each other while your gaze is fixed on your belly.
- This is on round of full stretch.
- Do 7-10 rounds while breathing deeply.
Fish Pose/ Matsyasana
Fish pose stretches the whole front of body, stimulating internal organs and releasing tensions on neck and abdominal muscles.
- Start by lying on your back with legs together.
- Place your palms under your thighs, facing the ground.
- Inhale and push through your elbows to lift your body off the ground while your head remains grounded, forming an arch.
- Avoid putting pressure on your head and neck.
- Your back should hold strain while the elbows and arms support your weight.
- Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths and lie back down to ground to release.
- Perform Matsyasana for 5 rounds.
Bridge Pose/ Setu Bandasana
This pose relaxes the parasympathetic system in our brain which triggers our fight or flight reflex. It also regulates better flow of blood in the body and releases muscle tension on legs and abdominal region.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet planted on the ground hip width apart.
- Place your hand on your side with palms facing the floor.
- Inhale and slowly bring your torso off the floor by pushing through the shoulders.
- Interlace your fingers behind for better support.
- Take 3-5 deep breaths throughout the pose.
- Unclasp your fingers and slowly lie back down to release.
The practice aims to unify the body, mind and spirit in synchronicity to the universe. An individual’s well-being is based on how he/she feels within and the physical practice offers a path to awareness. To be aware of what’s happening within is to be conscious of your reactions. Mindfully dealing with circumstances can ease out unnecessary suffering. It is also very important to wear comfortable clothes – check out these comfy and stylish leggings. Use the practice as a tool to help you feel good inside out. Stay healthy, breathe fully and have fun kicking PMS out of your way!
Savasana is one of the most difficult poses in yoga. Not because of any strenuous twists or bends, but because it requires the body to become fully relaxed. Savasana is performed at the end of a yoga practice and can serve as a starting point for meditation. The traditional Savasana pose is done while lying on the back. The practitioner lies flat on their back with arms and legs spread out. The palms should face up and the feet relaxed with the toes lying towards the outside of the yoga mat and the heels lying towards the center of the yoga mat. This is where the body comes to the full relaxation and the physical and meditative aspects of yoga intertwine into pure bliss.
Savasana can help relieve mild depression, high blood pressure, headaches, fatigue, and insomnia. However, these benefits can only be achieved when the mind and body are both completely relaxed. It’s easy to relax the mind and body completely when asleep, but can pose to be a difficult task when awake. The body tends to come to rest a lot easier than the mind. The mind tends to wander thinking about when practice is going to be over or what’s for dinner later that night. Savasana requires conscious surrender. It requires us to stop trying to keep up with the moving world and find peace in the now. It reboots the body and results in a better functioning mind and body. Here are some steps that can be taken to be more successful in Savasana.
Be comfortable. Give the body an environment that it can become completely relaxed in. Bolsters, pillows and blankets can aid in creating a more relaxing environment. A pillow or towel can even be placed over the eyes to help get away from distractions. The more you surrender, the more beneficial this pose will be. If you are a beginner check out this video that demonstrates how to relax.
Take a final breath. Take a deep and long cleansing breath right when you start Savasana. This helps to relax the body further and signals the body to slowly release breath control. A cleansing breath sends a message to the nervous system to relax and just be still.
Locate tension. Mentally go over your body from top to bottom and locate where you are holding tension. Once located, acknowledge the tension and release it. Tension can be released much easier when it is first acknowledged.
Take notice. Take notice in how long you are able to hold Savasana and the difference you feel. Your mind and body feels different when full relaxation is completed than it does when the mind was racing during the pose. Noticing this difference will help for Savasana to be successful more often than not.
It is important to remember that Savasana is a time to rest, not to sleep. Some people have a tendency to fall asleep during this pose, but this means that they will not reap the full benefits. This pose must be taken awake to train the body and mind to come to full and utter relaxation. For more info about Savasana and its benefits visit this blog.
With fat being all the rage in the weight loss community, it’s no wonder we are seeing the stuff in recipes and skin care regimes all over the place. One tablespoon contains 14 grams of saturated fat, which is roughly the recommended amount the average person should be consuming according to the American Heart Association. If you’re concerned with your intake of saturated fats, don’t be alarmed. The fats in coconut oil are metabolized differently from other saturated fats because they contain medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). For those on a ketogenic diet or who have done a little research are well aware that MCTs can be used as an energy source and can help treat many diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Coconut oil has even been linked to fat loss and has appetite regulating abilities. Studies have shown that coconut oil can reduce abdominal fat specifically as well as regulate blood sugar.
So you might be thinking, what’s so bad about coconut oil? It seems like there are more pros than cons. Clearly, this is a source of pure fat and as anything in life, practicing moderation is key. If you think about it, coconut oil is a processed oil similar to olive oil. While going for whole, minimally processed foods should be at the core of any healthy eating regime, adding in a teaspoon or two of coconut oil won’t hurt. Whenever possible, getting your fat source from avocados, nuts and olives is always best.
Aside from the amazing health benefits, coconut oil should be avoided in some situations. According to some health experts, coconut oil can wreak havoc on the good bacteria in your digestive system if you don’t consume plenty of vegetables. Coconut oil has a tendency to take the bad bacteria in your gut and transfer it into your bloodstream. Without eating enough fiber from vegetables, this will have negative consequences on your body.
Coconut oil can help burn fat as mentioned but it can put on the pounds as well. Just because it’s a health food, it doesn’t mean its void of calories. Coconut oil like all fats is calorically dense and if you are overconsuming calories from any food, you will gain weight. Simply monitor portion sizes and you can still reap the benefits.
Consuming too much coconut oil or any oil for that matter can also cause digestive issues. The liver can only process so much at a time and every one’s bodies are different. You might have a more sensitive stomach and need to air on the side of caution. The overall recommended healthy intake to see the greatest benefits is one to two tablespoons per day. As far as using it as a moisturizer or for hair conditioning, go nuts!
Yoga is a spiritual connection; it helps in realization of one’s ability and talents that one has. It makes you live a healthy and balanced life. There many types of yoga, here is a brief list that will help you choose the one that suits you most.
This is a deep connection of the spirit and the world, this is where you find people have a passion of drawing and others may have the passion of singing. In past decades India practiced Kundalini in their culture, this helped in making people realize what they were best at and excelled in it. In the present day, this type of yoga is taught as a lesson so that people may realize what gift they have personally and how to use it.
It helps people open up to their problems, this can be something one encountered or lived with for years. Through this yoga, they get to share with Anusara teacher who helps them overcome their fears. This helps people change their experiences and live better lives than they lived before. Anusara yoga helps people to accept what happened to them and adopt to new life.
For people who want to start yoga, hatha yoga is the best one to start with, reason being that you get to learn how to pose and the sequences to follow. Hatha prepares your mind, body and spirit to meditation.
It’s done in hot or a steamed place which helps your muscles to loosen and help you to lose weight through sweat.
This yoga follows an order in which people pose the same way, most people in the western countries practice this yoga because it’s makes our body more flexible and fit.
Helps in cleansing and strengthening the body. Through this people are able to get healing from physical wound and emotional pains, Forrest yoga heals abdominal pain and in return strengthen the body through the physical exercises taught. By having time to breathe quite air, it makes one release the emotional challenges one might be having.
It simply means having one pose for some time. This makes the body and mind adopt to change and manage any challenge that may come along the way. This yoga is good for people who get upset easily or people who are impatient. It make you become more relaxed and more encouraged of any circumstance that comes along.
This is a combination of Ashtanga yoga, kundalini and hatha yoga. This helps everyone discover the power in them and practice it to the best of their ability. Vini yoga helps one to identify their present situation, how to cope with it and how to handle it in future. It helps people set goals for the future.
It mostly involves seating and stretching your body when seated. It makes your body healthier since the muscles are well exercised. It helps your body withstand a long time of delay maybe traffic jam or standing for a long time.